Storytelling is a traditional folk art expressing the basic need to communicate, to connect with others and to love. When we tell and read stories, we give utterance to what has been seen, heard and experienced, an art shaped by folk wisdom, that which cannot be trained but lived.
Storytelling takes on many forms, both written and spoken. My programs promote literacy of words and images giving children and teens the opportunity to connect with the beauty of visual and written language, their own imaginations and the human experience that unites us.
Through 1 hour Storytelling labs children and teens:
- Hear a rich variety of stories from around the world, told and read by talented storytellers.
- Explore and create their own stories through words and images.
- Experience books that uplift and heal, inspire and delight, including picture books for all ages.
- Enjoy quality art and writing materials for illustration, prose and poetry.
- Receive help with writing if needed and wanted.
- Find fun and friendship.
- Gather with small groups (size depending on age) and discover together the joy of story and story making. Groups include children 4-5, 6-9, 10-14 and all age teens.
- Relax in a safe, welcoming place of love, belonging and comfort.
- Explore thoughts, feelings and their place in the world.
“The Swampy Cree say stories live in the world and may choose to inhabit people, who then have the option of telling them back out into the world again…If people nourish a story properly it tells things about life.”
XXXXXXXXHoward A. Norman
XXXXXXXXXX“The Wishing Bone Cycle”